Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Whew.. almost over .. I hope

Here in beautiful East Tennessee we have not been affected by Katrina as much as most . We had rain all night and this morning the wind started . The wind has been getting stronger all day . There are power outages , downed trees and some damage to a few buildings . Here in my neighborhood we are experiencing 39 mph wind gusts and fortunately so far we have had no damage that I know of . My roof has popped several times as those strong wind gusts have blown through and I have kept an eye on the trees around my yard because they seem to be swaying and bending in a most odd way . The tornado threat has been lifted off of us at this time and I am hoping that the remnants of this storm will move on out of our area .

I have always been a freak when it comes to the weather and often times my husband asks me why I never became a meteorologist . I have been watching The Weather Channel , CNN and our local news casts to keep up with this storm. My heart goes out to all of those affected by this storm and I have already made a donation through the American Red Cross Disaster Relief . They are saying that Katrina will most likely take the record from Hurricane Andrew , which hit in 1992, as being the most costly hurricane thus far.

The thing that is really sad is that a huge part of those who lost their homes to flood waters will not recieve help from their insurance company , if they had insurance at all . The reason being because when you have homeowners insurance , flood damage is not included in that policy most times . If the rain damages your roof , the roof falls in and water floods your home then fear not for you are covered but if the water comes from the ground up due to swollen creeks, rivers , lakes and so on , you are not covered for that and have to pay the damage expenses out of your pocket . Another thing is that most people who rent do not have insurance for their belongings and they do not think they need it because the homeowners have the home insured. What they don't know is that the homeowners policy only covers the structure not the tenants belongings . Tenant insurance is very inexpensive and well worth it . My husband and I are currently renting and we have tenants insurance which only costs $207 a year . Now if we didn't have that insurance we would pay much more than $207 to replace our belongings in case of disaster. If you are wondering how I know so much about insurance it is because I use to work in insurance and therefore I know about most of it and how the coverage works. Anyways , that is all I have for now so you all take care .

5 comments:

Bsoholic said...

Glad you guys weren't hit bad. It's been mostly just rainy over here. A bit of winds, and a few trees down, but not a terrible amount of damage.

Breazy said...

That is good to hear Bs. We are still battling the wind and it seems to be getting worse . We are 40 mph gusts right now and we have a wind advisory on us until around 3 am . They are saying that we will have some pretty rough thunderstorms later but we are just waiting .

Bsoholic said...

Scary stuff. Be safe!

Unknown said...

here in cali the earthquakes take their tolls as well and that damage is not covered either..something about natural disasters spooks the insurance companies..and rightly so i guess..look at all the horror Katrina caused..can you say global warming? i know when i say that word folks eye's glaze over..but its true..this crap has never happened on this scale in the history of the U.S..its got to be one of the reasons all these hurricanes hit the gulf area..ok..i will get off my soapbox now..sorry..

Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...