Saturday, March 04, 2006

cookie booths and baseball try-outs...

At the end of January each year my ten year old starts selling girl scout cookies . This year was no different and she has sold many boxes . When the first sale is over it is time for the cookie booths at various businesses around town, for two and sometimes three weekends we are busy doing these cookie booths however , this year we are loaded with them this weekend and only one next weekend because we have birthdays coming up and our churches youth retreat . Yesterday evening was our first booth and let me tell ya , we almost froze our extremeties off . All week long the temp was around 70 until friday came along and it was 54 with a hard wind . Our first booth was at Food City and we were in a breezeway and by the end of the two hours we were human popcicles . Our last one today is from 6-8pm at Kroger and then tomorrow we will finish up with a four hour booth at Ryans restaurant from 12-4 . I can't wait til we are done with these freeze-your-stuff-off booths . Normally when it is cookie booth time the weather is not to bad but this year things are way different .

It is also time for baseball sign-ups and try-outs so today at 11 my son went to try out in the 7-8 year olds . This is the first year that they have made this age group try-out and my husband said it was a joke . They had to bat three times , catch three ground balls and then three pop-flies . They do these try-outs like a draft . The coaches get to stand around and watch all of the kids do there thing then they get to pick the ones they want so now there are three different coaches that are wanting my son . We are excited to see who will get him because two of them he has played for before and they are wonderful coaches . His actual games will start around the end of April and I can't wait .The good thing about girl scouts and baseball are that as one is ending the other is beginning so it all works out well for us . I can't tell you how excited I am about spring and summer coming , for one thing , we will be breaking ground on our dream home soon and for another I am just over all this yucky cold weather . I want to be able to get out in the yard or go to the park or drive through the mountains with my windows down so I can smell the fresh air . Anyways , that is how my weekend is going .

How is your weekend going ?

6 comments:

Ben O. said...

Sounds good - Congratulation on the house. We are headed out to buy a new (new to us at least) car. Wish me luck.

Ben O.

Breazy said...

Oh cool ! Good luck ! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Read This said...

Love the cookies.

lime said...

i'll take a box of thin mints!! and don't start me on try outs at a young age. that sort of thing bugs me. kids that young need to be in sports to learn skills and have fun, not try out and be judged.

lime said...

sorry.....it's just outrageously competetive around her and it bugs me

Breazy said...

I know what you mean Lime . We weren't too happy about the try-outs either , I mean he is eight for christ sake . We just want our son to go out , give it his best and know at the end of a game that no matter what the outcome , he is happy with himself .

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...