Good Wednesday morning all, I hope everyone is well !
Does your town have a Bible Marathon each year? Ours does! What is a Bible Marathon you ask, it is where the Bible is read from Genesis 1:1 through Revelation 22:21 over a three and a half day period. It takes approximately 90 hours to read the Bible from beginning to end give or take an hour. Our county has one every year for the past ten years and I didn't know about it until last year. Did you know that there is an actual day for prayer every year? There is and this year it will be on Thursday May 3. The National Day of Prayer always falls on the first Thursday in May and there are preachers and I guess just anyone who wants to participate can pray in unison on the front lawn of the court house. Normally prayer begins at noon and as soon as the prayer is over the Bible reading begins.
Last year I participated in this and I received such a blessing for doing it. I was nervous when I stepped up to read the first time because you read into a microphone and there are speakers all around so that people all over town can hear it but when I started reading all of my nervousness left me.
Some friends of ours host this event and this year Mr. B and I are helping get everything together. We sent out fliers and letters to local area churches and I contacted one tv station and one radio station, I have also written an article to be published in two different papers. We are trying to get as much media coverage as possible this year because each year the media doesn't show up until the last day which doesn't really help because people then think that it is too late to go read.
Anyone can read, it doesn't matter what your beliefs are everyone is welcome to read. The Bible being read is a King James 1611 version. I can't explain the feeling I get when I am reading or hear someone else reading because I know that somewhere near there might be a soul that has never heard God's word or maybe someone that has never payed attention to God's word. It is just an amazing feeling and that is where my blessing comes from, knowing that people are hearing God's word.
Some people driving by will stop in the middle of the road to listen and some people come up and sit for a while to listen. You would be surprised at the people that come to see what is going on. It is really just a feeling that I can't explain but it blesses my heart to be a part of it all.
I volunteered Mr. B and I to spend the night up there this year so that the hosts don't have to stay every night to read because the reading goes through the night. Once the reading of the Bible starts, it doesn't stop until the entire thing has been read and this is where volunteers come in handy.
On Saturday from 2PM-10PM we are having Youth Day where kids of any age can come and read, we are praying for a big turn out on this. We are also having a special time for seniors to read. The reason for a certain time for senior citizens and children to read is because you want to be past the "begats" when they read. With the children we are looking more for an area where they comprehend what they are reading.
So to make a long story short, I am very excited about this event coming up. We are having a little get-together for our youth this Saturday at Chic-Fil-A so that they can fellowship and get to know one another while they eat their lunch then we are going to take them to hand out fliers.
You know I never saw myself as a worker in a church, I always felt like I was more of sinner and not Godly enough if that makes sense however, since we started attending the church we are currently attending I have learned a lot and the workers of the church are just people like me who want to do God's work. In the past year I have been more involved in working in the church than ever before. Our church is presently working on building our youth department up and I am on the Youth Council and it is a true blessing to see the kids get excited about God and enjoy the things that we plan. The key is that if you can get your youth excited about an event they in turn will go spread the word of the upcoming event because they are excited, their excitement will spill over onto the person they are telling and that person may think "hey if they are that excited about it maybe I need to go check this out and find out what it's all about".
Before I go I do need to give a shout out to a special someone...
Jillie, thank you so much for the birthday card. I received it yesterday and I laughed , it was hilarious and your words blessed my heart. I also want to tell you all that I went and treated myself to that spa pedicure and it was absolutely wonderful. My feet haven't felt this good since my last pedicure back in the fall.
Thank you all for your comments on my new house, hopefully before long I can get some better pics of everything.
Y'all have a wonderful day, be safe and take care!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Long time blah blah...
It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...
-
I am so glad to see Friday finally here . For some reason this week has just been a sleepy week for me and I am ready to move on . Yesterday...
-
Good Thursday morning ! I didn't take a pic for hnt because I was so busy yesterday and this morning . During my break I thought I would...
-
I have been thinking back on the past for several days now and just remembering the good times of being a kid . I went through all of my old...
9 comments:
What an awesome thing for your town to do! I have never heard of that, even living in the Bible belt, but that is such a great idea. I will pray you get enough volunteers and I will pray that God will use that time to speak to any lost souls that hear it.
I am glad that you have figured out that church workers, staff, etc are people just like us, they are sinners, we are sinners, the choice is we want to serve the Lord, and it the work doesnt always have to be anything big and grand as long as it is done according to his word and in the correct spirit he is praised!
YAY...you got it. I sent it early enough so you would get it on time. I'm not known for being on time mind you. You know when I spoke to you I wrote it down. I knew that you would be going through a lot of crap and I was so happy that you would be celebrating this one in your new house.
I have lived here for over 10 years now and never knew such a wonderful thing went on here:-). How sweet that your friend sent you a birthday card. Things come in our lives to brighten our days right when we need them don't they?
Have a good evening:-).
Ameratis..Thank you!
Jillie..it was really sweet of you and it brightened up my day, thank you so much! HUGS!
Kali..you are more than welcome to come up there and help us read. You can read one verse or more, whatever you are comfortable with. Actually you can come up there and just sit and listen to the Bible be read if you don't want to read.
Never heard of one of these marathons but its an awesome idea. Sorry to alarm you somewhat....just been really busy lately. I will try to update more towards the end of the week on my blog cause i will be without internet for a little while as you are familiar with haha. I am still planning to be moved in one way or the other by saturday..might not be living in the living area but camping int he shop haha
Have a great week and weekend my friend!
hey that's terrific, breazy. i've never heard of the marathon thing before. and yes, i think youneed confident readers for all those begats. huziah begats jedidiah begat mephibosheht begat zibijildah etc etc....
ok, so you asked for 5 interview questions...here goes..
1. Since we are on the topic, what is you favorite passage of scripture and why?
2. What was the most surprising part of building your own home?
3. What makes you laugh harder than anything else?
4. How do you feel about pink jackets for men?
5. If you could not ever visit the beach again, where would be the place you'd be most inclined to go so you could get away from it all?
thaks for playing. I look forward to your answers :)
Brad...I completely understand about no internet for a while!LOL! Well as long as you get in there, that is what counts and the rest will come in time!
Lime..yeah those begats are something else..heehee!
Oh yeah! I will post the answers to the questions tomorrow!Thanks!
Breazy...
Are you up and running finally?
G-Man is sooooo glad if you are!!
Hey G-Man! Yes I am up and running and I am lovin' it! It is so awesome to click on a site and the page load immediately..ahhh..the pleasures of fast internet..heehee!
Post a Comment