Monday, October 10, 2005

Adderall XR

If you have read any of my previous posts then you know that my son is ADHD combined type , sever case . You would also know that he is not sleeping at night due to being undermedicated . He had an appointment with the pediatrician this morning and the first step that we are going to take to help him sleep is upping the milligrams he takes each day . So he will be taking 20mg instead of 15.The pediatrician said that he needs to come back in one month or if he isn't sleeping still then he needs to come sooner , so for now he has an appointment in a month. I am hoping that this helps because it is really starting to wear him down . He is exhausted all the time and he told me Saturday night that he couldn't keep going much longer in school if this routine keeps up . I am so proud of him because through all of this , the evaluation , diagnosis and finally being medicated he has not let his grades drop below a B . He has A's and B's and he is having to work so hard to get them right now because of the exhaustion. He was diagnosed in April of this year and he has adjusted really well with everything that we have to do .

We are so blessed to have the councler and pediatrician that we have . They both keep such a close eye on him and the meds and that eases my mind alot .
We deal more with the hyperactive than anything. Before he started taking Adderall XR he would itch all over and if I put lotion on him it would just irritate him more , he had a huge problem with tags and seams in clothes . If you know anything about ADD/ADHD then you know that these irritations are labeled as "ticks" . Since he started the meds most of the ticks are gone for instance , he has started wearing his regular underwear again instead of boxer briefs . There are less seams in boxer briefs and that is why we changed to them . He doesn't itch any more and he is more alert than before. I was really concerned when he was first diagnosed because I wasn't into the medication process but I am more at ease since I have the pediatrician and the specialist which I call councler . I read everything that I can get my hands on about ADD/ADHD and I have learned so much . There are small things that we do that makes a world of difference for my son such as , keeping a consistant routine each day , week and so on . Home is a safe port for my son and he will act better at home than out in public. Don't get me wrong , he is pretty well behaved but he prefers to be home more than anywhere.

In April the dr. started my son on 10 mg a day of Adderall XR and by the middle of July she bumped him up to 15mg . We have saw a huge difference in him since then and the only problem is him not being able to sleep. What I mean when I say not sleep is that he has trouble going to sleep and what is happening is his brain won't shut down so he can't go to sleep and when it finally does, his sleep is fitful . Think about a rough work week and how you feel on Friday . That is how my son feels everday . He goes to his room each night around 8pm and he tries to go to sleep to no avail . Here in the past few weeks , if he goes to sleep before 11pm then we can call that an early night . Anyways , I will quit gabbing about my son and his problems and I bid you all a good day .

8 comments:

lime said...

hey breazy, i am no expert but if i can offer a few suggestions? and maybe these are things you have come across in your readings in addition to the things youhave already found and implemented. make sure he is having plenty of opportunity for physical activity, but not too close to when he wants to go to bed. swim, bike, shoot hoops, jump on a trampoline. maybe if he can do this right when he gets home from school to blow off steam from the day even, before he settles into homework. also, massage is really useful when the time for bed comes. both of these activities cause a release of chemicals in the brain that can aid sleep. just some thoughts.....glad you are comfortable with the doc and counselor, that is so important for both you and your son.

The Village Idiot said...

Speaking from experience, we were using adderal, but a side effect was not being able to shut your brain down at night when he came down off the drug. We switched to Stratera which also has the benefit of not being a controlled substance so you can get 90 prescriptions. You may want to talk to you doctor about the side effects of the adderal. The longer my oldest was on it, the more difficulty he had getting to bed.

Good luck with this journey

Breazy said...

Lime .. thank you for the suggestions but we have tried all of those things .I really appreciate your suggestions and any more that you have .

Village .. first of all let me thank you for your suggestions. My son was started out on 10mg and he didn't have the sleeping problem until they started the 15mg . Everything is great except the sleeping problem . He has an extremely high metabolism and therefore we are only getting four to five hours out of the 15mg which is fine because it is in his system during the time he does his academics . They just put a warning out on strattera and therefore his doctor will not put him on that but they are going to try one more thing if this doesn't work and if the second doesn't work they will change the meds altogether. Thank you so much for your comments and if you have any more advice on this subject it I welcome it . I think we parents of children with ADD/ADHD need to band together as kind of a support group . Thank you again ! :)

S said...

My sister has two teenage boys that have ADD/ADHD...she has her hands full! She has a lot of the same challenges that you have, breazy! I know it can't be easy.
I don't know anything about the meds, but chamomile tea, and lavender work well to relax.
If you like, I will send you some lavender sachets that he can put in his pillowcase, and you can also buy some lavender bubble bath. It's great for helping with sleep. Of course, chamomile and lavender work wonders for people that don't have ADHD, I will assume since they are harmless, that they might also help someone that does have it.
Let me know if you want some lavender, I grow it, I have lots, and I will give you as much as you like! Good luck! :X

lime said...

np breazy.....glad V.I. ha ssome practical suggestions onthe drug aspect.

Breazy said...

Barefoot Mistress .. thank you so much . I will let you know in a day or two if I need any. I really appreciate the offer.:)

Lime.. Thanks! :)

Mel .. I am on my way to email you now ! :)

CozyMama said...

good luck!!!

Stephanie said...

I have no idea about these meds or ADHD/ADD. I do know a lot about sleep disorders though. Poor little guy. I hope it gets better for him.

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...