Wednesday, February 22, 2006

a little frustrated..

I have told you all about my 8yr old son and him having ADHD . Well we have to keep a close watch on his weight because even without taking meds his weight has always been a problem . The only time the child has weighed what he should was at the time of his birth and then shortly there after the under weight problem started . Last April when my son was diagnosed with ADHD and put on Adderall XR he weighed 50lbs . As of Feb. 1st ,which was his Adderall re-check , he weighed 52lbs . On Feb. 13 he had to go back to the doctor because he was sick with strepthroat and he weighed 50. He was sick all last week first with the strep then with just a cold and sinuses . When a child that is underweight in the first place looses a couple of pounds it is real easy to notice it because they are so skinny anyways , so on friday I noticed that his back and ribs were looking a bit more bony so I weighed him and OMG!!! he has lost three more pounds putting him at 47 lbs. He goes back to the doctor for another Adderall re-check on March 1st and I am hoping that we can get his weight back up a bit because if not his doctor is going to have a fit and the weird thing about the whole situation is that his eating habits haven't changed . He is eating as he usually does and he hasn't been running around as much so I am wondering how he lost the weight . Even when he was sick , there was only one day that he didn't eat well and that was on the monday that we found out that he had strep. So now I am at wits end and I am not sure what to do about his weight . I did go buy some ensure so that I can put it in the freezer and let it get slushy then he can have it like a thin shake but other than that I am at a loss on what to do . If any of you have any good ideas please leave them in the comment section .

9 comments:

Read This said...

Gaining weight, my specialty lol. Whole milk, give him something fairly heavy right before bed time, more snacks, smaller meals...but more of them, ensure is ok...but is only a short term fix, proteins...either by food or in a shake, weight gainer shakes from GNC. I would check with his doctor before I did any of the above, but this is how you put on weight. Some peope just have a hard time gaining weight, and others put it on while just thinking about food, lol. Good luck, I will be montioring your blog closely, (I already do that,lol) to check on his progress. Good luck.

Breazy said...

Thomas.. thanks ! My son is one of those that has a very high metabolism and therefore he doesn't gain weight . I didn't think about going to GNC .. thanks! I will talk to his doctor when he goes back and see what he can have .

Bsoholic said...

Yeah I bet GNC would have lots of stuff, but like casually said be sure to check with the doctor first.

bubbles said...

my brother has always had a problem keeping on weight....not as drastic as your sone but he did the weight gainer shakes from GNC....just be REALLY choosy on what you give him...and how much....soem of them make them grumpy. My brother also uses peanutbutter like it going out of style...I am not sure if it is to keep the weight or keep him from being so hungry! I hope all turns out well! Keep us posted.

Logophile said...

Definitely talk to the dr.
More protein, more fat is the way to go, and there are alot of ways to do that but alot of drink mixes have way too much sugar, so that is something you want to watch.
Anyway, good luck with that.
mwah!

lime said...

yikes, i can appreciate your worry. cm, nailed it so i won' tduplicate what he said. keep us posted.

chosha said...

My flatmate is a skinny guy, and he has built up a lot with protein shakes, but yeah, be choosy and check with the doctor, as these shakes are intended for adults. Just don't fall into the trap of letting him eat any old fatty crap in the hope he'll gain weight - no point loading him up with salt and sugar just to get a little fat he could have gotten some healthier way.

Helene said...

My son has ADHD too and has lost weight on the meds. I think the biggest thing is to be sure to have him understand the healthy way to keep the calories on. I like the idea of the GNC stuff too as it sends a better message than drinking milkshakes before bed each night.

Parenting is tough!! Thanks for blogging this.

Stephanie said...

That's a tough situation. But, I think Casually Me has some good advice but talk to the doc first.

I have what Blither has. However turning him into a 30 yr. old woman would help him much... Oy!!!

Update asap!!

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...