Wednesday, August 09, 2006

school system...

I am have to say that I am fed up with our school system and the way they do things . As you know my fourteen year old daughter started her freshman year of high school monday . When my kids come home there are some questions I always ask , they are as follows : How was your day ? Do you have homework ? and What did you have for lunch ? . My fourteen year olds answers to those questions were this :" it was okay" , " yes I have algebra homework" , and " I didn't get to eat lunch today because after paying for it the bell rang before I could find a seat and eat" . The last one really upset me because not only does she pay $2.50 for her lunch but she didn't even get to sniff it. The reason being is because of the over crowding problem . That high school has a maximum capacity of 1,350 and monday the count was 1,860. That means that they have 510 more students than they are supposed to have . My daughter said the hall is so crowded that you just have to forge right through if you want to get to class in time . Today was the first day that my daughter got to eat her lunch and there was some huge fat kid , football player type bully trying to take her lunch or her money . Fat kid walks up to her in the lunchline and says " are you going to eat that" my daughter said she craned her neck back to look up at him and told him " yes I am , why else would I have it in my hand?" . Then the guy says " well then give me your lunch money" my daughter replies " and how am I supposed to pay for my lunch if I give you my money?" . At this time one of my daughters friends that is in line in front of her tells her to get in front of him in the line . She kept her lunch and her money and finally got to eat . I am not happy about this and if fat boy wants to try to take her lunch /money again then he is going to meet 5 foot , two inches of pissed off mama in his face ! I told my daughter that I know she wants to be nice to everyone but in high school you have to have a bit more back bone than that. She told me she couldn't be mean to anyone and I asked her was the person not being mean by trying to take her food and money .

This isn't the first year that the over crowding problem has occured and nobody seems interested in trying to solve it . There is a new high school going up in the county but none of the students from our high school are in the area to attend there so that solves nothing . Instead the new high school will be attended by students that are going to one of the biggest high schools in the county and they aren't even having an over crowding problem . I am really concerned about this and not just for my childs safety . I mean , what if they have a fire when 90% of those students are at school . How are they going to get them all out safetly ? And what are they going to do when alot of those kids are killed in that fire because nobody could get out the door because of the overcrowding ? At one point the school board was talking about moving the sixth grades to the elementary schools each child came from and then taking the freshman and putting them in the middle schools . Okay I have a problem with that because that isn't going to solve anything , instead it will cause more problems of overcrowding because as of right now the middle schools and elementary schools are under or at capacity . Another thing is that I am not going to put up with upper classmen trying to take my childs lunch and or money . If they want extra food then they need to tell their own parents so they can provide the means for that . I think I need to email Brian and ask him what he would do in a situation like this since he is a principal , maybe he can give me some insight .

Oh well , thanks for listening to me vent and if any of you have any suggestions please leave them in the comment section or feel free to email me @ eazybreazy@gmail.com . Y'all take care , be safe and have a good night !

10 comments:

Logophile said...

Oh hon,
This sucks.
I have no idea how to even handle it, this is still in the future for me, but good luck and I know you will figure something out.

Amber said...

Oh my god, that is terrible. I would feel so upset and feel helpless, like there is nothing that can be said to make anyone fix the situation. You can talk to the school board or the principal, but there isn't much they can do. I know by the time my son gets to high school in 13 years that the situation will be unbarable.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

You can approach this three ways. Attend all of the school board meetings and get the press involved but by the time anything is done your daughter will have graduated. You could also check to see if they are violating any state laws about occupancy or class size. Or you can do what I did which was move. I know neither you or your daughter will probably find this helpful but that is what we ended up doing but it was actually because of my husbands job transfer. Third option I see is to pay big bucks for private school if one is available in your area.

Have a talk with your daughter about how to stand up for herself while keeping her friends around her. There is safety in numbers. If things continue with this boy tell the school administration, they can't stop it if they do not know about it.

I'm very happy that my grandkids are going to rural schools!

Penny said...

I would think there must be a law about such overcrowding. Do all the students live in the area of this school? Couldn't the high school bus students to another school? How many students attend each class? I hope you find a solution to this problem. Good luck.

Politically Homeless said...

I wonder a few things:

Does overcrowding of this magnitude violate the fire code that restricts how many people can be in the building? Probably not, but something to look at.

Overcrowding of that magnitude indicates poor planning on someone's part. Sometimes you have more kids show up than you expect...but 500? Sounds like bond issue time to me. Apple is correct about addressing this with the school board. The principal can't do anything about this. For this year at least, you're probably stuck with it.

The boy in the lunchroom? Tell her to very firmly tell him no. If he asks again she should walk out of the line, find the adult on duty, and say, "I want to eat lunch but this boy keeps harassing me for my money." If she doesn't want to do that you should call and tell them that this is a problem.

lime said...

wow, y'all start school early! man, your overcrowding sounds every bit as bad as ours if not worse. it's just madness. i hope things with the bullies gets ironed out fast. that just sucks.

and breazy, oh my gosh! i can't believe i forgot you on my road trip, girl! i went over that thing so many times. ima makin' a special trip just for you and bringin some of my favorite chocolates to make up for the omission too!

MGW said...

Clearly you live in a very popular area that is continuing to grow. The good news is that your house value is probably skyrocketing. The advice given by others is the best you'll get: move, pay for private school, accept the situation as it is. The school is undoubtedly as frustrated as you -- you have no idea how much teachers hate overcrowded classrooms, lunchrooms, hallways. Somehow I kept picking up that you thought this was all the school's fault -- but remember in public education the "public" pays for the education they get (and seems to want based on how many school levies fail repeatedly). The lunch thing could easily be solved by letting your daughter take her lunch to school. I often had students eat in my classroom when I taught. Good luck. I hope you find the situation eases as the year goes on.

Anonymous said...

It is happening every where; honest.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... game download free ware share ware australian bikini wax 93 pontiac grand prix Watch lesbian movies

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...