Thursday, May 31, 2007

surgery and other things....

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your well wishes regarding my sons surgery. The surgery went very well, my son was asleep for about two hours and fifteen minutes, however they weren't working on him the entire time. The doctor needed more detailed x-rays and such so that took up some time. Once they got the x-rays and were able to look at them, they found that his teeth weren't in bad shape at all. They pulled two teeth, both of which were very loose, one was already capped but the tooth underneath was already through the skin and the other tooth was loose, they could see on the x-ray that the permanent tooth was already past the bone and almost through the skin.

He was in recovery for about forty five minutes before we were allowed back there with him. When we got back there he was still very groggy from the anesthesia and it wasn't long before he became very weepy. The nurses were so good with him that you would have thought he was their child instead of mine..lol. The nurse said that a lot of children cry when they feel sick in their stomach but some cry just because the anesthesia does that, which I knew already since I have been put to sleep before.

Once we got him in the car to come home he cried again because he couldn't sit up. He didn't understand that I was sitting in the backseat next to him so he could put his head in my lap, finally we got him settled and headed home. Once home he slept for almost three hours then he woke up and for about three hours he would vomit if anything hit his stomach ,the nurses had warned me that this might happen. When we had talked with the doctor after surgery she told us that since he didn't have an incision or sutures that he could eat anything he wanted as long as it was fairly soft. I was shocked when we finally got his stomach to calm down because I couldn't believe what stayed on his stomach......mac & cheese! After that the kid wouldn't quit eating for the rest of the evening when he was awake. That night he slept fairly well but when he got up Wednesday he didn't feel too great. The doctor had told us he could resume normal activity on Wed. but he didn't need to be jumping, or getting real hot. All day he just moped around and then around 6 pm he developed a low grade fever and thank goodness I was able to keep that down with over the counter fever reducer. Yesterday he was still somewhat pale but he felt his normal self. The good thing about the entire ordeal is that he had no soreness in his mouth at all, not even from the two pulled teeth, the soreness that he had came from the tubes that were down his throat and nose. .

On top of being very nervous all day and night Tuesday, I didn't sleep well that night so I have been pretty worn out and when you are real busy it is hard to find time to grab a nap but yesterday evening I finally caught some open time and I hit the bed for about two hours. I am glad this surgery deal is over and done with. Now all I have to do is call the orthodontist and set up an appointment to have my youngest daughter's braces put on. She is the only of my children that has to have braces thank goodness! She isn't happy about it either but I told her to remember my teeth before braces then after. I wore braces for almost three years, as a matter of fact I had my braces for almost a year when I found out I was pregnant with my son so my girls remember them on me.

I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend! We sure did! Our weekend was filled with cook-outs
and Monday we attended a swimming/surprise birthday/Memorial Day party, it was fun!

Well I need to get off of here and get things going for the day, y'all have a good one!

5 comments:

lime said...

glad to hear your boy is doing well. the post anesthesia puking thing is really no fun...my one daughter and i react that way. no crying, just can't keep even so much as ice chips down.

Angela said...

Bless his heart I'm glad he is back to his old self{:-). Sounds like ya'll had a very good holiday weekend. Hope you do the same with this one too.
Stay cool!

Bsoholic said...

Glad he's doing good! Have a good weekend too. :)

G-Man said...

Breazy..?
I hope everything is OK?
G-Man sends his love..xox

Mona said...

Breasy! O the poor darling boy! I hope he is feeling okay now!!

I hate it when children get sick!

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...