Tuesday, July 12, 2005

going up ...

As some of you know , my son has ADHD combined type , severe case . We found this out in early April of this year after I had a meeting with his teacher . With our insurance you have to take more steps in the evalution part than normal . We were sent to a man that specializes in evaluating and helping children with ADD/ADHD. Normally when children are evaluated for ADD/ADHD their teacher, or someone of the like , will alert the parents of the signs . From there they go to the pediatrician and are evaluated through paperwork because as of yet there are no physical tests that can be performed to diagnose this problem .

In normal circumstances the child's parents and teacher will have alot of paperwork to fill out on the child's behavior and such . This process is usually done in a week and the child is put on medication if it is needed . In my son's case the evaluation process took three weeks which involved his teacher and I filling out bunches of paperwork, I had to go online and fill out a questionaire , I had two visits with the specialist and my son had two visits with the specialist. We chose to have his pediatrician to administor his medicine . Our pediatrician started our son out on 10 mg per day of Adderall XR . The specialist wanted to wait until our son had been on the medicine for about two months before coming back to him so I called and made the appointment for June 27th.


When Mr. Specialist asked me how my son was doing on the meds , I told him that I was seeing alot of sensitivity that I didn't expect, like if you say something to try to compliment my son or something positive , sometimes he will burst in to tears and talk about how he is stupid because he didn't do as good as he should . This is just one of the small things that I have to deal with from him . Mr. Specialist informed me that the reason we are seeing this sensitivity is because he is undermedicated . He said that we should bump him up 5 more mg a day and see how he is with that . The pediatrician and I had already talked about the sensitivity but she wanted Mr. Specialists thoughts on bumping my son up a bit on the meds before we done it . So my son goes back to the pediatrician tomorrow morning and he will be starting 15mg per day . Those of you who read my old blog knows how I stressed over my son being put on medicine but now that I have saw what it does to him I have a different attitude about it . Don't get me wrong , I don't think children should be put on meds unless they really need it but in the same sense , I have a first hand look at all of the good things the right medicine can do for a child .

Yeah , we still deal with alot of the emotional side from him BUT the episodes are never as intense as they were before the medication started . Before my son was diagnosed with ADHD I didn't know alot about it other than alot of parents have their children put on the medicine for ADD/ADHD because they are lazy parents and don't want to deal with their child/children . Since that meeting with my son's teacher I have made it a personal mission to find out as much about ADD/ADHD as I can . I have learned so much . Did you know that if your child is really hyper you can feed them peanut butter and within thirty minutes they will calm down a bit? The reason being is because the level of seratonin in the brain is dropping causing the child's brain to send out mixed signals which causes the hyperness , the peanut butter will increase the level of seratonin and the child will calm down somewhat . More or less it is like a system overload when the seratonin level drops .

When you have a child with ADD/ADHD , you have to deal with them differently than other children because if you start telling them things they need to do and you are firing off three or four things at them they can't remember these things . You have to tell them one thing at a time . You also have to find a routine for your child . Even though we are very busy , we have a routine that is the same day after day , week after week . This helps your child function with everyday life a little better .

We are very lucky because our son is more of the hyper type than anything which affects everything he does because he can't concentrate . The Adderall XR helps him to calm down a bit so he can concentrate and pay attention . Children with ADD have more depression and negative attitude and outlook such as being homicidal and/or suicidial . Also most children who have ADD/ADHD have learning disorders or they are bipolar etc. In my son's case he has been tested for learning disorders and he doesn't have one . When he is older they will have to check him for signs of bipolar because of the severity of his problem .

When ADD/ADHD is found early in children , sometimes they can learn to control it when they are older and therefore stop taking the medication but sometimes they have to take medication all their
life. When I first found out about my son having this I thought my world was falling apart but then I started thinking about parents who have to deal with leukemia and other horrible diseases in their children and that is when I became thankful that my son has this small , however big it seems to us , problem because there are worse situations that we could be in with him . I am sorry that this post is so long but I needed to get this stuff out of my head . Y'all have a goodnight and I will gab at you later ....

6 comments:

Bsoholic said...

Paging Dr.Breazy, your needed in the OR... just kidding, glad to hear the meds are doing what they are supposed to.

Breazy said...

Thanks ! I am hoping he does ok on the 15mg . :)

James Goodman said...

I had a step son (in a previous life) that was ADHD. He too was put on Adderall. Once they found the right dose, it made all the difference in the world. His grades, attitude, attention span, everything improved. I still keep in contact with him and he no longer needs the meds. About the time he hit puberty, the meds started affecting his body differently.

Breazy said...

Goody .. It is good to hear that your step son is no longer taking the meds . They told us to expect big changes during puberty . Thank you for sharing that story with me . :)

The Zombieslayer said...

Howdy. I came over in response to your reply in Heather's blog.

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, it's just that it's overprescribed, but possibly overprescribed by a factor of 5 to 1 or even 10 to 1.

Our son was "diagnosed" by some teachers but my masseuse at the time said this. She said that her children were diagnosed so she changed their diet completely. In the morning, only protein, no carbs. They can have carbs for lunch and dinner.

The other thing is to go to the root cause of short attention span. We severely limited his tv and video game playing and I started reading to him every night (read all 7 C.S. Lewis Narnia books and some others). Also, got him to read. Harry Potter's great for that.

Surprisingly it worked for our son as it did for her two children.

Now, I won't claim it works in all cases, because some people actually do have chemical imbalances. I'm just saying go to drugs as a last resort. Keep in mind that these drugs are recent and we have no idea what they'll do to one's liver thirty years down the road.

Best of luck to your child though. I really hope it works out for you. Raising kids is hard work.

Breazy said...

thanks for stopping by zombieslayer .

We tried changing my son's diet and we were already very strict on the tv and games and all three of our children are big on reading but those things didn't seem to help my son . The reason he is on meds is on meds is because without them he can't seem to settle down and concentrate . For instance , every night we sit and read with him and before the medication he couldn't sit still . He was jittery and antsy to the point of distraction . When we changed his diet we saw improvements but not enough to solve the problems he was having in school . Now with the medication he has drasticly improved in everything . His counceler and I are talking about trying to start weaning him off the medication sometime next spring just to see how he will do without it .

I really appreciate your comment on this . It helps to know that other parents deal with the same thing we are dealing with and to hear of other ways to help our child .

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...