Friday, October 20, 2006

medication , education and sleeping like the dead ...

Hey all ! Just call me "Slacker" from here on out . LOL! I have actually just been very busy and when didn't have time to get on and when I did have time to get on , well , I will tell you what I was doing then on down in the post .

Medication
I posted ,not too long ago, about the new Daytrana patch(for ADHD) that my son was recently prescribed . I promised an update because some of you were interested his reaction to it . He has been using the patch for a week now and we are very satisfied with it . The first thing that I noticed with the patch was that my sons appetite didn't decrease like it did with the pills he took . Instead we have saw a major increase in his appetite but when I took him to the doctor today he had lost a pound which right now isn't a major concern unless he looses more than 2 & 1/2 lbs . My son is sleeping soundly throughout the entire night which is something he doesn't do with the pills , he also has a much better attitude , not that he had a bad one with the pill but he was more prone to get frustrated easier than with the patch . All in all I have no complaints except one and it doesn't even concern my son , it concerns me . When the doctor prescribed the patch to us she and I discussed the patch in detail for some time . The first thing that she told me when I asked about applying the patch to my sons hip was that I needed to try and get the patch on as quickly as possible , try not to touch the sticky stuff (medication) , and to wash my hands really good as soon as the patch has been applied . I just didn't understand how strong methylphenidate was until I got some of the sticky stuff on my fingers . I immediately washed my hands but within five minutes I was extremely nauseous and for the rest of the day I had a bad copper kind of taste in my mouth . Since that first day I have been very careful about getting it on my fingers but sometimes it can't be helped however, I did discuss this with my sons doctor and she said she would get back to me because she wanted to discuss it with their rep from Daytrana because she thought that just that little bit on my fingers making me feel that way was very interesting . My son loves it so I can deal with getting it on my fingers every once in a while for him .

Education
With all that being said about the meds , let me say that even though it is doing good things my sons school work is not improving as of yet and it should have just a bit so I called
Sylvan Learning Centre today . My son will start with them within the next two weeks and I am so excited to get started . Even if the meds helped to improve his school work right now , when his body becomes use /immune to the milligrams he is taking his work will drop anyways so I decided that we would do something different for that because I am very concerned about his future. He loves school and everything about it but he gets frustrated a lot because he will be working on something that he knows but he can't concentrate enough to get right so his grades are suffering for this . I can't wait to post more about this once he gets started .

Sleeping Like the Dead
This is what I have been doing when I wasn't busy . For some reason , the past week and a half has been weird for me because if I sit down I go to sleep . I have been completely exhausted and most days I have taken two naps and still felt like I hadn't slept in days when bed time arrived that night . My kids think it is funny because I have never been one to take naps but here lately if I hit the sofa or the recliner I am out within minutes . One of the kids actually joked during supper last night that they were surprised I didn't fall asleep in my plate because I was sitting and relaxed . I think one of my problems is that since the weather has changed here my sinuses/allergies have been killing me. Also just the weather change itself makes me want to cuddle up under a nice soft blanket with the kids and watch tv or snooze . I am a very light sleeper but when these "naps" come on me and I go to sleep , you could set dynamite off beside me and I wouldn't know it .

Anyways, that is what I have been doing that has caused me to slack off from my blog . Y'all take care ! :)

4 comments:

Logophile said...

That is a strong reaction!
Glad to hear it is working well for your son though.
Take it easy, slacker :p
You have alot going on!

Breazy said...

Yeah it is a strong reaction but like I said when it comes to meds and such I have a very low tolerance . Thanks for stopping by Logo !

lime said...

glad to hear the patch seems to be a really good thing for your boy! must be a real relief. that's a heck of a reaction YOU'RE having, wow.

you sound like you need some good hibernation time. can't blame you. i'd like some too.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the medication is working so well for your son. I hope you're feeling better soon. You've had a full plate for a while. New house, new meds, allery problems. No wonder your tired. Your body is telling you to rest. Give in and get better soon ;o)

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...