Tuesday, January 22, 2008

ice and closures

Good morning! It has been one of "those" mornings and it is only 8:44am so far. The meteorologists kept saying there would be sleet this morning but I don't think anyone thought it would be as bad as it has been. There are wrecks everywhere! We watched for our county to close schools but the closure didn't come so we carried on with our normal school morning routine. As we, the kids and I, were headed out the back door my oldest daughter was first one out. As soon as she hit the steps she slid all the way down them stumbling for some balance because the steps were completely iced over, thank goodness she didn't fall. When we got in our vehicle I called Mr. B to ask why he didn't tell us the steps were iced over because he had been out to start my van for warming and to leave for work.

On our way to school everybody was driving very cautiously to keep from wrecking because there were patches of black ice on the roads. I didn't have a problem until I was dropping my middle child off at the middle school. When you pull in at the middle school you have to drive all the way around the back to the loop to drop students off, the speed limit through there is like 10MPH and I was going about 8MPH when I got on the back loop road, before I knew it I was going sideways. We didn't wreck or anything but it really worried me because some of those cars drive around there like the hounds of hell are on their back bumper and that kind of driving could really pose a problem. We decided that someone needed to go into the school and tell staff that the road had iced over but I was in my pj's still so it wasn't going to be me. Since my daughter goes to school there she decided that since we were early she would go tell them.

So far all schools around us have been closed but ours hasn't. None of the kids are really happy about this but the ice will be gone within two or three hours so I can understand why they aren't closing them. The problem is that we are having a rain/sleet mix. As soon as it hits the ground it is freezing. Our temps are supposed to start rising but as I was taking the kids to school we dropped from 30 degrees to 28 degrees according to the external temperature gage in my Chevy van, that gage is always right on the temp that the weather stations announce. I think that the school system should tell parents that if they are having problems getting their children to school due to the ice to wait a couple of hours and bring them and the tardy won't count against the kid. Mine are already there so I would feel better if they just kept them there since the ice will be gone in a matter of hours anyway. I say that because my kids ride the bus home each day and I don't like to think about my children on a bus going over icy roads also I don't like for my children to miss school unless they are terribly sick or weather conditions are such that it is basically impossible to get there, school is hard enough without having to make up tons of missed work.

So that is how my day has started off. Yesterday was my "FLOOR" day, the day I clean all of my floors and for once I had some help. With the kids being out of school my son stuck around home to help me yesterday. For some reason he LOVES to sweep and mop so I let him help me. I did have to go behind him and re-sweep in a couple of places but at least he was trying and when it comes to cleaning house I will take all of the help I can get.

My son is 10 now and in the past month he has just about ate us out of house and home. We can't keep the child in jeans. We just bought him 8 new pairs of jeans in December and he has already out grown them as far as length goes. When he puts them on it looks like he is waiting for a major flood to come whipping up..heehee! As you know he has severe ADHD, in May I took him off of his meds and he has done really well except for the past month so I think we are going to have to go back on the low dose Daytrana patch just to help him out a bit. His school work is starting to lack more than usual and so is his behavior. If anyone is familiar with ADHD then you know exactly what I am talking about. Since May I have incorporated more "natural" foods into his diet where as before I was making sure that he was eating healthy but those foods still weren't as clean (no chemicals) as those that the natural food stores offer. I will continue to keep up the natural foods but at the same time he needs a little something to help him through. The good thing about the Daytrana patch is that you can control how much goes in to his body.

Well, I need to sign off and get busy with my need-to-get-done list. Y'all have a beautiful day, stay warm and God Bless You!


11 comments:

Mad Housewife said...

Jeans advice: Buy a couple (or three or four!) sizes too big, but buy the ones with the adjustable waist. You know, the ones with the elastic and button system on each side inside the waistband. Jimmy grows so tall so fast I have to buy bigger jeans for the length and cinch up the waist. A few brands, places that carry boys' adjustable waist jeans...Old Navy, Levi Strauss (like at Target) and regular Levi's (like at JC Penney or Academy), Arizona brand (JC Penney). Hope that helps.

lime said...

sounds like you all really could have done with at least a delayed opening.

with a 12 year old i certainly know what you are saying about them growing like weeds!

S said...

OK but they cany LOOK like they have elastic in them, that is just not cool.

Oh my gawd, how many times I listened to Grandma Ratburn tell about the summer that Gary grew 6" before the 8th grade! Cost her a fortune in jeans!

Little Rita isn't having a growth spurt yet but then she is a preemie and they tend to the lean side. I ought to start saving for a new wardrobe for when that does happen, though!

SoCal Sal said...

GAWD I don’t miss all that cold weather, weather. LOL

You have a honey-do list?

Mona said...

ewe.. the cold gets to me really bad! We have had severe cold waves in India and today we experienced a zero degree temperature & they shut the schools down here!

Children do out grow their clothes so fast. I remember my son's new jeans getting shorter by months!

So sweet of your son to help you :)

James Goodman said...

I can totally relate to the clothes (and the ADHD for that matter) we've had to shop for new jeans three times in the last twelve months. To be fair, we did go through about a three year period where he didn't grow more than an inch, so now he's just catching up. :D

I agree, they definately should have had at least a delayed opening. Safety first, especially when it comes to something so valuable as our children.

Anonymous said...

Well, aren't you a little Postie McPosterson? Look at you go, Breazy.

Stay warm and drive safe. Good luck with your skyrocketing kid!

How are you feeling nowadays?

Cooper said...

My nephew is ADHD (15 now) and two years ago stopped all meds, switching to a more natural approach in diet and medical approach. He sees a doctor that treats the issue as an allergy. The difference is unbelievable - not to mention the foot and a helf he grew because the meds were stunting his growth cycle.

Anonymous said...

Yikes...8 pairs of jeans and he's already outgrown them! Whew! Glad my dogs don't have clothes...lol!

Yeah, I remember the black ice and those road conditions. I grew up in the country and when it snowed, it would drift up that cars couldn't get through it. We usually had about 4 or 5 snow days a year. Now, I don't think they hardly get any. Bummer for them.

Send your son over here...I've got plenty of floor space for him to clean...lol!

xo

Angela said...

It's just darn cold!!! :-). But in a few days we're gonna warm up yet again, just to have the temps drop fast again!! *geesh already* giggles...

Shari said...

They grow fast, don't they?

I used to hate driving in winter, especially in ice. Ugh.

Good luck with your eye exam. Hope the doc can get it adjusted.

I wish I could be excited about cooking. I just don't enjoy it. It's work that leads to more work-dishes and cleaning up afterwards.

I finally did the meme after all. It's in the Daily Three blog. I got tagged again, so I thought hard and picked up a few ideas from others who got tagged. :)

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...