Wednesday, November 19, 2008

my dad, the veteran

For Veteran's Day I had planned on doing a post regarding my dads time in the military but I got sick and didn't feel like posting so today I have put that in this post.

Right before Christmas in 1967 my dad received his draft notice, he was 20 years old. On January 16, 1968 he was inducted into the United States Army and was sent to Fort Campbell, Kentucky for basic training then on to Fort Polk, Louisiana for Individual Training (combat). On June 13, 1968 he left from Fort Lewis, Washington headed to South Vietnam. In Vietnam my dad served as a rifleman with the Americal Division, Co. A, 4th BN, 196th Infantry Brigade, 31st Infantry. He was near Da Nang and Chu La Provinces until April 13, 1969 when he contracted Tropical Sprue. He was then transferred to the 95th Evacuation Hospital in Da Nang then on April 16, 1969 he was transferred to the U.S. Army Hospital in Camp Zama, Japan. On May 16, 1969 he was transferred to the U.S. Army Hospital at Fort Campbell, Kentucky until June 16, 1969 when he was then released for a 30 day leave. On June 28 during this 30 day leave my parents were married in a small country church near my mothers home. On July 21, 1969 my dad returned to Fort Campbell, Kentucky where he served as a Drill Instructor in the Training Brigade, Co. B, 4th BN, U.S. Army Training Center until January 20, 1970 when he was honorably discharged. My dad served in the U. S. Army Reserve until January 20, 1974.

Throughout my life we have never talked much about my dads time in Vietnam because we all feel that it is a disrespect to bring up an unimaginable time in his life and if he wants to discuss it he will. We have all asked some questions but nothing that delves into "why" he was there or the "what" he was doing. I mentioned my parents wedding in a small country church near my moms home, on May 1, 1993, almost 25 yrs later, in the same church using the same minister my husband and I were married then on May 9, 1997 in the same church using the same minister my brother and his wife were married. I feel so much gratitude and respect for my father because of his time fighting for this country's freedom.

My dad and mom met through my moms brother who was also drafted at the same time my dad was. All of Uncle Ervin's information is the same as my dads except that he was in the 198th Infantry Brigade and he was killed on September 13, 1969 when a rocket propelled grenade hit the area he was in. Three days later on September 16, 1969 a car from the Department of Army pulled into my grandparents driveway, the two officers informed my mothers family of my uncles death. It took two weeks for my uncles body to arrive back home for the funeral.

Y'all have a good day and I will be around to read all of you throughout the day. :)

9 comments:

peach said...

B, thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Take care!

lime said...

quite a story. thanks for sharing. i'm sorry your uncle came home the way he did but glad you r dad returned safely.

misticblu said...

Nice to meet ya' Breazy! Glad you enjoy the blog, I will be checking yours out this evening.

James Goodman said...

Thanks for sharing, Breazy.

Lulda Casadaga said...

Well you have a good reason to be proud of your dad and uncle. Those were some crazy times. We watched that war on tv every nite. :(

I hope you are feeling better today...have some hot tea, chicken soup and airborne! Rest & relax for the weekend is prescribed...

Logophile said...

oh wow, Breazy, Im so glad you shared that. My dad retired from the Navy, one of his brothers served in Viet Nam as well, on my mom's side one of my uncles is a vet, and my grampa retired from the Air Force. I am grateful and proud of them too.
I know what you mean about not wanting to quiz them.
Good post, girl.
Glad you are feeling better

Mona said...

Thank you for sharing this. So many people out on the war field fight for our freedom. i have a great respect for them.

Mona said...

Happy Thanksgiving to Breazy & Family!

Shari said...

My dad, may he rest in peace, fought in the Korean War. He loved MASH. :) He met my mom after the war.

My nephew is in Iraq now till April.

Hope you had a great T-day. :)

Long time blah blah...

It has certainly been a while since I've been here. Sometimes I think about deleting this blog and being done but I also think I am goin...